Sunday, August 14, 2011

August Music


The dog days of August have settled, and the rush of September releases is pending. Still, there are songs new and noteworthy to keep us spinning, even as we apply the Bactine to our insect bites.

Good thing I'm not a guy who bets for money. I predicted, since June, when I put Ricky Martin's club remix of "Freak of Nature" on my NYC Pride Anthems 2011 promo, that it would capture the #1 Billboard spot on the Dance/Club Play chart. But it stalled at #7 and currently dropped to 12. Still, it cracked the top ten and has, so far, had a solid 2 months charting. Congratulations, Ricky, you deserve it. And what's that Enrique guy doing at #1? Song's not nearly as hot.

On the other hand, Kylie Minogue's "Put Your Hands Up," which was on my April promo, Fagtastic, has defied all odds and made it to the #2 spot on the US chart, with #1 totally within her reach. Great going, Kylie and great dance tune! You so deserve it, too; in fact, you should be so lucky!

Guilty pleasures? I got plenty of 'em (and they don't all have to do with dance music, believe me). In fact, brought up Catholic, all pleasures are naturally guilty -- and forbidden, but that's what makes them such fun! The latest such tainted joy is the song, "Chic C'est la Vie" by reality-tv creature, Countess LuAnn, from Bravo's The Real Housewives of New York City. I've deliberately avoided the series and its ilk, so I know very little about this particular celebutante. But she talks out this song in a manner not unlike the grand, growling style of Divine, with a deliberate campiness. The Fontana/Newman remix alone is fun to listen to, pumping the beats up to make you wanna shake your booties to this fluff. Let's call it a "fluffer," then, shall we!

Inaya Day is a perennial diva of the dance scene since the '90s and, though perhaps underrated, certainly is frequently utilized at home and throughout Europe. Her latest, in conjunction with Italian producers Menini & Viani, is a vibrantly realized production in classic House style. The original club mix can be found on the August issue of Promo Only's UK Club Beats cd (highly recommended 2-disc set). On the same issue, you'll find the always-fab Shena with her Betty Wright-like "Homewrecka!" Gay newlyweds take note of this cautionary number. Be afraid, be very afraid.

"Taste the Night," by Dalal, is absolutely beautiful contemporary dance music, especially in the hands of remixer extraordinaire Tony Moran. You'll be on your feet in a dreamy swirl to this well-written & -composed song, beautifully sung as well.

The Wash woman cometh! As August closes, the great Martha Wash will take the stage at Fire Island Pines. That's Saturday, August 27. Tickets for "Martha Wash on Fire" can be purchased online @ http://www.dutfnyc.com/. $35 in advance and well worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, baby, I'm not sure what to say about this music as I've just been listening to Herman's Hermits, so you can see how totally out of date I am. Of course I realize that we both are much too young to have even heard of Herman's Hermits, let alone listen to them, but remember I do have an elderly roommate. However, I HAVE actually heard of Kylie Minogue and just the other night watched on youtube the video for her song -- well I don't remember the name of it [perhaps you can tell me] but it has her on the very top of a virtual mountain of half naked men and women all being very affectionate with one another -- there's even some hot man- on-man action. Sexy as hell but still tasteful. When I told my roommmate about it he got all excited! Very sexy video. I don't look at reality shows unless you count Judge Judy and People's Court.

    Weren't you shocked that Ricky Martin is gay -- LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dj Buddy BeaverhausenAugust 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM

    "...there's even some hot man-on-man action. Sexy as hell but still tasteful."

    That's our Kylie. She knows her fan base very well. As for Ricky Martin, I'm glad he's finally making "gay" pay.

    ReplyDelete