Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sleigh Ride with The Ronettes

From Phil Spector's famed Christmas album, originally entitled "A Christmas Gift for You," comes the classic Wall of Sound production of "Sleigh Ride" featuring The Ronettes. Ronnie Spector's lead vocals are phenomenal, and its obvious why her distinctive vocals made her a rock icon through the ages.

I first heard The Ronettes when I was coming back from Palisades Amusement Park, in NJ. My grandfather was driving, Grandma was next to him, and I was in the back with my Mom. (My brother wasn't born yet.)

"Be My Baby" came over the car radio, and my grandmother reached for the dial. "Oh, this garbage!" she despaired. "Grandma! No," I yelled, and she shrugged and let it play. I was bouncing around on the backseat to the beat, the sound, something new and liberating to me.

Later, when I saw The Ronettes on tv with their beehives that must have required a full can of Aquanet each, and their tight dresses slit up the sides, not to mention all that extreme mascara, I couldn't believe how trashy they were! I knew, right then and there, I wanted to be just like them when I grew up.

So, it's time to hop on the sleigh with The Ronettes cuz, you know, they can really take you places.

1 comment:

  1. For every kiss you give them, they'll give you three. A sleigh ride with Ronnie would be like a winter hay ride, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete