Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cross Over the Bridge, Ms Patti Page


When I was a pre-schooler, three- or four-years-old, my mother took me to the record store in bustling downtown Paterson, NJ to buy me another Golden Records 45 rpm. But, hey! I was already hip to the fact that these records were kids' stuff. I said I wanted a song they played on the radio. Mom was cool with that and asked if I had a song in mind. Without missing a beat, I told her I'd like to get "How Much Is That Doggy in the Window?" by Patti Page!

Ms Page passed away on New Year's Day. Another pop diva lost at the very start of 2013. Ah, sweet memories, though, of "Old Cape Cod," "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte," "Cross Over the Bridge" and "The Tennessee Waltz" among others.  She won't be forgotten.

Patti Page was one the first divas to rock my world. And this was the song that transported me in a way only pop music (and divas) can do.

Patti Page, we miss you.








No comments:

Post a Comment