Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Married by One of The Supremes

Oh, happy Day O'Connor! When I get married, I want it to be by a Supreme, too! Talk about your Hurricane Sandy, ironically on the first anniversary of that catastrophe, retired justice Sandra Day O'Connor is distinctly a force to be reckoned with and she's certainly stirred things up.

O'Connor, a Reagan appointee to the US Supreme Court, today "officiated at the wedding of a gay couple at the Supreme Court, at least the second such ceremony at the court since its June decision that expanded federal recognition of same-sex marriage," according to the Associated Press.

She presided over the private ceremony in the Supreme Court's lawyers' lounge for lucky couple Jeffrey Trammell and Stuart Serkin of Washington. They have raised the bar (and by that, I don't mean the process of qualifying to practice law). I insist on a wedding at the Supreme Court when I finally snag some poor schmuck! I'm worth it!!

This is not totally unprecedented as practicing justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg officiated at a weekend ceremony for two New Yorkers who got hitched. Ginsburg has actually officiated at a total (so far) of three same-sex weddings! I simply won't settle for less. Than a Supreme Court chapel of love, I mean; not three same-sex weddings! Unless they're one right after the other; that could be cool and kind of kinky!

So, hey, Sonia Santomayor, I hope you're reading this, girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment