Friday, January 3, 2014

I'm Gonna Marry the Flu

Ah, has it only been 11 months since my last date with the flu? Why, I clearly remember it when I wrote this little ditty before my doctor's diagnosis in 2013: http://djbuddybeaverhausen.blogspot.com/2013/02/video-beaverhausen-catwoman-starring.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=emailutm_campaign=Feed%3A+LeaveItToBeaverhausen+%28Leave+It+to+Beaverhausen%29

The flu seems to have come back to me as it has for millions of others, despite my flu shot in October. USA Today writes: "This year's flu season is now in full swing. Nationally people are beginning to be hospitalized and die due to the flu, which is in all parts of the country and still on the up slope, public health agencies report.

"This year the predominant flu strain in the United States is H1N1, the same one that caused the international pandemic in 2009-2010. The CDC estimates that 284,000 people died worldwide during that flu season.... While the H1N1 is the predominant strain in the United States and Canada, it is not worldwide. 'Europe is seeing lots of H3's and influenza B virus,' Bresee said."

I am currently only self-diagnosing as I won't be able to see a doctor until after the upcoming weekend. I mean, influenza can be such an inconvenience! It visited me on New Year's Day and we've been going steady ever since. On Thursday, the notion that this was more than just a cold occurred to me rather late in the day. I was prepared to call my doctor's office on Friday but it was a snow day and it was closed. I left a message for Monday.

Beside that, I had to cancel a weekend with close friends in Connecticut, an appointment with the ophthalmologist and any live entertainment events for the upcoming week as I'm otherwise engaged.

Diarrhea, nausea, green slime, strep throat, croup cough and a very generous amount of sneezing is what leads me to believe this is H1N1. I am not feeling particularly glamorous right now. Time to curl up with a couple of videos, perhaps.

Thanks to all my friends for sharing your recipes of healing brews, teas, soups and other liquid cures.

And so, once again, I'm under the influence of influenza but I've learned to stop worrying ~~ and love the flu!

No comments:

Post a Comment