Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Weather Outside Is Frightful

Ok, New Yorkers! WPIX-tv has reported:

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today declared a state of emergency tuesday for the following counties: Suffolk, Nassau, Richmond, Kings, Queens, New York, Bronx, Westchester and Rockland. The governor also activated the State Emergency Operations Center to monitor the major winter storm that is expected to bring moderate to heavy snow and strong winds to Long Island, New York City and the Lower Hudson Valley, and usher in extremely cold temperatures statewide.
“This winter storm will bring a one-two punch of snow and extreme cold. I urge all those in the affected regions to exercise caution, and avoid travel if possible,” Governor Cuomo said. “State resources are deployed to clear snow and help those impacted by the storm, but above all it is important that New Yorkers remain safe both during and after the storm.”

Here's what it looked like at 57th Street in Manhattan around 4 pm this afternoon: 

Total gridlock and, by the way, those cars are not moving; they're just sitting there on Third Avenue, which was like a huge parking lot for Bloomingdale's. In fact, I venture drivers probably had time to shut off the motor, go into Bloomy's and purchase something fabulous with time to spare. I mean, that's what I'd do to relieve the stress! I took the above snapshot on my way to the subway (with no stop in Bloomy's or anywhere else en route). There was a whole lot of slipping and sliding going on through that mush.


photo: CBS
I anticipated delays on my line out to Bay Ridge Brooklyn but was pleasantly surprised the trains were not only no more crowded than usual but that I actually got to my destination in record time. Door to door in just about an hour 15 minutes! Of course, as it continues to snow, I have no idea what tomorrow morning's commute back to Manhattan will be like. Flights have so far been canceled in and out of the New York/tri-state area, the plows are out and a clean-up effort is in progress.

photo: Business Insider
Despite my attempt to keep calm, carry on, stay warm and look fashionable through it all, I think it's back to the big old parka tomorrow, friends! Nothing like it, especially in snowy weather.


My trendy snow storm ensemble
Here's my cell phone shot of what it was like in Bay Ridge when I emerged from the train station at 5:15, with snowfall captured in the flash like little yellow laser beams:



But tonight, I'm safe and and cozy in my well-heated apartment. And warm enough that I'm about to have some Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake ice cream for dessert. And since there's no place to go, let it snow!

Stay safe and warm everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment