Friday, April 11, 2014

Exclusive Q&A with Xavier Toscano

Xavier Toscano is a talented, young, rising dance-music artist whose songs are pure pop. He has an upcoming new album, Feels So Good, that is lively, fun and will make you want to dance. "Never Wanna Leave" is the currently available single from that highly anticipated album. It was a pleasure to talk with the California singer in an interview that was arranged for me by Sobel Nation's Barbara Sobel. (Many thanks, Barbara.) I highly recommend Xavier's Feels So Good and hope you will enjoy our chance to chat.


Dj Buddy Beaverhausen: Welcome, Xavier and thank you for doing this interview with us. I saw news, recently, that you'll be performing at both Santa Cruz and Sacramento Pride in June, as well as Pride in Olympia, Washington. What can audiences expect at those events?
Xavier Toscano: I think they can expect what other venues and people can expect from me. I am energetic, love to have fun, and really like it when I'm able to connect with the crowd. All out fun! [Grins.]

DBB: You live in San Jose, born in Guadalajara. At what time in your life did you make this move?
XT: I was five when this happened. I suppose I embrace both cultures as much as I can. I certainly appreciate being bi-lingual. 


DBB: In your bio, you write "pop music is the soundtrack to our lives. It etches powerful memories in our minds. When you hear a song from your past, it immediately takes you back." What pop music influenced you throughout your life?
XT: Where do I start? I suppose the best answer is top 40 radio. To this day, if it's on the pop charts, I tend to gravitate towards it. 

DBB: You have a brand new album, Feels So Good. What would you like to tell us about it?
XT: I'm really excited about this album. In more ways than one. Sure, releasing your record should be an exciting moment, but these songs are different. I wrote them all in connection to real life experiences. In fact, some of the songs are about people in my life. Some gone, and some still here. But, that's all I will say about that. 

DBB: Xavier, what would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of being an independent artist?
XT: [Laughs.] Well, this is simple; it's like being left alone when you're 13. You can do whatever you want! But you don't have any "grown-ups" around with money to help you do it.... You face the challenge of promotion head-on with your own budget, which more often than not is nowhere near the millions of dollars you could have from a major. On the other hand, you answer to only yourself. I think that may be the biggest thing. 

DBB: Feels So Good is a very upbeat electro album. I felt good, I felt like dancing hearing the tracks. Do you write your own songs?
XT: Thanks! Then, I must have done a good job. I did not compose, but I did write all the lyrics. 

DBB: You're a triple threat. You sing, dance and act. What is your background in those three areas?
XT: I've had a well-rounded experience as a performer. The only thing I have not been able to do yet is really work with any major artist. But who is to say that I may become the major artist I had been seeking to work with. Anyway, I love performing, period, so it is a blessing to be able to do it when I am able. The goal, of course, is to earn a living from it as I continue to grow and move forward. 

DBB: You've recorded commercials for Nextel, NASCAR, Sony PlayStation and other products. What's that part of the business like?
XT: In one word: FUN! Time flies on the set, you get to break your routine for a little while and meet great people. However, I think that dancers are, by far, the best people to be around. They are SO much fun. Really playful people.

DBB: Your press bio also tells us you blend your "love of disco, rap, rock, reggae, and R&B with [your] dancing ability to create a dynamic stage show." What do you enjoy most? Performing live or studio recording?
XT: I enjoy nothing as much as performing live. It like better than anything else in the world.

DBB: If you could describe Feels So Good in a single sentence, what would that be?
XT: It feels so good to be alive! 

DBB: This album's now being promoted by Sobel Promotions and we wish you much success with it. Xavier, thank you so very much for your time and effort. My blog, Leave It to Beaverhausen, and Dance World Radio both attract a very global audience. What last shout-outs do you have for your international fans?
XT: Obviously, GO SOBEL NATION! AND, thank you! Also, I'm quoting my album notes here: "I want to dedicate this album to all of the people, who throughout my short music career, have ever clapped for me. You make me feel so good! My heart goes to you, with the hope that many awesome memories are created with my music for you, and for many other people. It would be the only way that I would feel that there is some value in what I do." Much love!


Visit Xavier:
Xavier's website
www.xaviertoscano.com

No comments:

Post a Comment