Monday, June 9, 2014

Dj Buddy Beaverhausen Looks at the Tonys 2014

I think the buzz I'm hearing around New York is right on the money: the 2014 Tony Awards, televised Sunday evening, June 8, was the best Tonys ceremony ever. And the gayest, what with Neil Patrick Harris, Allen Cumming and all that tap dancing ~ even gangsters tapping all over the place! Not to mention Patti Labelle, Gladys Knight and Fantasia (all stars of After Midnight) singing together in the opening number. Theater Queens were qvelling everywhere! It's probably no coincidence the Tony Awards are now televised during Gay Pride Month

Hugh Jackman was as handsome, charming and talented a host one could ever hope for. And the stage of Radio City Music Hall was awash in a tsunami of talent. Technical aspects (lighting, choreography, staging, etc.) were first-rate and virtually flawless. It was the best promotional event for Broadway shows ever!

Yes, Broadway is exciting, alive, full of energy and the sound of music! There is nothing like it. There's nothing like the prices either! I'd go more often except I do not get comps to shows on the Great White Way, so frequenting Broadway is simply not within my Beaverhausen budget.

The last Broadway show I saw was If/Then and that certainly cooled my enthusiasm. (Idina Menzel, however, was another performance highlight at this year's event. Thankfully, I say, If/Then garnered no Awards.)  I resented it even received nominations.

The 2014 Tonys certainly reminded us all that there is nothing like live entertainment, and that this is a remarkable Broadway season. That said, it's time for me to buy tickets to Hedwig, After Midnight and Lady Day! Will get back to you on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment