Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Exclusive Q&A with Dance Diva Andrea Carnell

Dance-music diva Andrea Carnell will be making an appearance on October 24th at 9 pm at the iconic Stonewall bar on Christopher Street through Sobel Promotions. Barbara Sobel arranged our getting together to talk about that & much more! Space in the intimate venue is limited, so come early!

Dj Buddy Beaverhausen: Hi, Andrea! I understand you will be the first dance-music diva to perform at the historic Stonewall Inn through Sobel Promotions. How are you feeling about this gig right now? (Next Tuesday, October 14th.) 
Andrea Carnell: Oh my God! I'm very excited about performing at Stonewall. It's a part of history for Christ's sake! I've been there several times for other events and when I performed on a float a few years back for Gay Pride, our float stopped right in front of Stonewall and I was singing "You Used to Know" by Xaviera Gold/Ralphi Rosario. I just went with it and it meant something to me; so does my upcoming show. It means something TO ME. Sobel Promotions came to me about the show and without hesitation I said "HELL, YES"!

DBB: You're a Billboard charting disco diva. Could you tell our readers more about that? 

AC: My songs "At Last," "Not the One" and "You Used to Know" were my Billboard Dance chart hits. "You Used to Know" being my highest charting top-ten hit! I REALLY LOVE THAT SONG. My most popular song, though, would have to be "OPEN UP YOUR HEART" Erick Morillo used that for one of his compilations a few years back and I swear that really helped my tiny l'il career! [laughs] But I am proud of that!

DBB:You currently live in NYC. Were you born and raised here? And what are your favorite things about living in The City? And least fave? 

AC: I was born in North Carolina and mostly raised here in NYC. I love NY because without it, I doubt I would have lived any other life. My life has been REALLY exciting and cool! My least fave thing about living in NY is the fear that I'll get bored of it. (But hasn't happened 100% yet!)
 

DBB: What music did you grow up with? Who were your favorite vocalists? Who were your idols?
AC: EVERYTHING WAS PLAYED IN MY HOME AS A KID. I love female singers the most though. My influences are: STEPHANIE MILLS, LINDA CLIFFORD, TINA TURNER, PHYLISS HYMAN, MADONNA, DIANA ROSS, INDIA, KRISTINE W., LADY MISS KIER, XAVIERA GOLD, DONNA SUMMER, THE ROLLING STONES, BETTE MIDLER, ULTRA NATE, U2, THE CURE, REINA, DEBORAH COX, CEE CEE PENISTON, SUZANNE PALMER, STING, JOHN KANO, JOHNNY VICIOUS,WHITNEY HOUSTON, INAYA DAY, AMUKA, KIM SOZZI, PATTI LABELLE, CHRISTINA AGUILERA, ARETHA FRANKLIN, ROCHELLE FLEMING, LOLETTA HOLLAWAY, JANET JACKSON, CHER, BARBRA STREISAND, FERGIE, JODY WATLEY, BEYONCE, AKON, YOLANDA ADAMS, P. DIDDY, MARIAH CAREY, CELINE DION, PRINCE, LUTHER VANDROSS, MICHAEL JACKSON, ANNIE LENNOX, GLADYS KNIGHT, THE OJAYS, BRIAN MCKNIGHT, KIM ENGLISH, JENNIFER HOLLIDAY, EN VOGUE, MARY J BLIGE, CHANTE MOORE, HEATHER HEADLEY, GWEN STEFANI, KEYSHIA COLE, MISSY ELLIOT, CIARA, BOY GEORGE, ERASURE, GEORGE MICHAEL, PHIL COLLINS, ELTON JOHN, ANASTACIA, KELLY CLARKSON, FANTASIA AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON!
 

DBB:How do you keep in such fantastic shape? 
AC: A body shaper! [laughs] No, seriously, IT'S HARD. I love to eat and my weight fluctuates!

DBB: Outside of your hits, what work have you done onstage and/or in the industry? Have you been a back-up singer and, if so, what did you think of "20 Feet from Stardom"? 

AC: I was in a few lil plays here and there. Nothing major. I've never been a back up singer and I'm not opposed to it. I would do it. And I love Darlene Love and I believe 20 Feet from Stardom shined a beautiful and much deserved light on her AND MANY OTHER SINGERS!
 

DBB: Any good backstage stories (by that I mean gossip) you can share? 
AC: Lord have mercy! JUST MY OWN STORIES WOULD SHOCK. I won't speak on them though. It just always becomes a back and forth, he said she said, so I remain silent to avoid the stupidity! I have been mistreated and pushed around though!

DBB:How has the industry changed since you first started, it seems to evolve at such an accelerated pace? 

AC:Well, I'm proud dance music became mainstream again but I do feel like smaller artists in the dance community have been ignored and pushed out to a degree!
 

DBB:Anything new we should be aware of? 
AC: I'm a bit of a computer geek so you'd be surprised at the career I'm pursuing. And artistically... well, I keep my eyes open for anything that would interest me and I try to get in there to audition and give it a shot. I really love COMEDY. I even want to do stand up!

DBB: What music do you listen to on the radio? And what do you do when you just want to relax? 

AC: My music tastes change daily, only because I LIKE EVERYTHING! And I enjoy relaxing with my friends and I love alone time. I LOVE MY OWN COMPANY!

DBB: How did you meet/ sign on with NYC's primo promoter, Barbara Sobel? 

AC: Barbara seems to be devoted and wants to work [closely] with artists, so I'm all for her efforts to succeed!
 

DBB: Any last shout-outs before we see you at Stonewall?
AC: I just hope people swing on by. IT'S ON A TUESDAY AND IT'S AN EARLY 9 PM SHOW - SO NO EXCUSES! Have a lil fun, laughs and dance with me.

DBB:Thank you, Andrea, look forward to seeing you October 14!

No comments:

Post a Comment