Thursday, October 16, 2014

Remembering Tim Hauser of Manhattan Transfer

I just learned of the passing of The Manhattan Transfer's Tim Hauser at age 72. Hauser was the group's founding member. Like me, Tim was a Jersey boy and hailed from the Shore area (Ocean Township, then Asbury Park, NJ), though he was born in Troy, NY.

I first saw Tim Hauser and Manhattan Transfer at the club, Trudy Heller's, in the West Village in the early '70s. I was immediately impressed by their vocal harmonies and nostalgic, camp musical choices. When the group's debut album was released in 1975, I ran out to purchase it.

Manhattan Transfer appeared at the Bottom Line to promote their record and I was working at the club at the time. Their act had been refined and they had packed houses for their engagement. Bette Midler was there! Jack Nicholson! Stockard Channing! They were star-studded evenings and I was as thrilled not only to rub shoulders with the glitterati crowd but to see MT's routine nightly.

While the cause of death is currently undisclosed, the remaining Manhattan Transfer members released a statement "with heavy hearts," stating: "We join his loving wife, Barb, his beautiful children, his family, and the rest of the world in mourning the loss of our dear friend and partner in song."

The group plans to continue and carry on Tim's legacy. R.I.P. Jersey boy, Tim Hauser.



No comments:

Post a Comment