Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Buddy Beaverhausen's Random Thoughts: I Ring, They Bring

I hate cooking but I usually do it anyhow for home economy reasons. I can make a mean meatloaf or tuna noodle salad, quiche, Irish scones and a few other specialities. Pasta dishes, overall, are a snap. But in the heat of summer, slaving over a hot oven is just not my trip.

Tonight, I ordered from my favorite Chinese restaurant, Mr. Tang. It's non-MSG and, if you visit the restaurant, it's sparkling clean and the entire kitchen area is visible from the counter.

I generally order ethnic foods. I mean, I really can't whip up Chinese food. La Choy just doesn't cut it. Mexican is another ethnic food I couldn't possibly make properly. Luckily, we have a few good ones in our neighborhood. Thai food is special as well and there's no way I could successfully create that. I can do Italian or Polish (except for stuffed cabbage -- too involved) or other European foods, overall. Even schnitzel with noodle. But fuggedabout the crisp apple strudels, sweeties! Though those are a few of my favorite things. Admittedly, some other international dishes are out of my range as well. Certainly, my making a pizza falls within that ambit.

Tonight's delivery from Mr Chang was delicious, especially the steamed dumplings. I also ordered vegetable egg fu yung. The woman on the phone always sounds harried but she gets every order right. I've never had to complain. And the delivery guy is very friendly. It helps that the restaurant is just down the block.

Ah, the joy of picking up the phone and getting a meal delivered to one's doorstep. Of course, I have to go down the stairs for it. I'd love to lie on the couch, buzz the deliverer in and have a string tied to my foot to yank the living room door open. I'll work on that concept.

Tonight's fortune cookie, incidentally, says: "Do not iron clothes on body." I'll seriously consider that.







No comments:

Post a Comment