Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Beaverhausen Book Nook: Grace Jones' Memoir Tells All

Here's Grace in your face with her new autobiography, I'll Never Write My Memoirs, as cheeky as its title suggests. Oh, and at around 400 pages, it's as juicy and revealing as I'd hoped it would be. It's unlikely you'll be disappointed.

The book takes its title from lyrics, written by Grace herself, in a song from her Nightclubbing album. This memoir is as outlandish as any of Grace's live performances. While she says scathing things about her long-time boyfriend Dolph Lundgren, for example, the book is also disarmingly touching, as when Grace writes about her abusive childhood in Jamaica.

Grace tells all, in her famously fearless fashion, about her years as a model, as a disco diva, a Studio 54 party animal, her involvement with Andy Warhol and the NYC art world, Hollywood and movie-making, her gay icon status and her gender-bending stage persona. She mournfully recounts the early days of the AIDS epidemic, of losing friends in the 1980s.

Grace Jones lived through it all. Her brushes with other celebrities are all detailed here. There isn't a dull moment in I'll Never Write My Memoirs, I will guarantee you that. There were parts where I wished Grace wouldn't move at such a gallop and give us more details. She has so much to say and so much to cover in her career that has spanned several decades. She even has some things to say to the likes of Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna and Nicki Minaj. Listen up, girls!

The book, now in hardcover only, includes pages full of Jones' personal photographs, most of them in color. 

I'll Never Write My Memoirs is available at Amzon.com, Barnes & Noble and at bookstores everywhere.






No comments:

Post a Comment