Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Video Beaverhausen: Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers

Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers or Pardon Me but Your Teeth Are in My Neck is both funny and scary, kind of like Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

My brother and I loved this film. My Mom took us to the Totowa, NJ drive-in to see this. I remember it was very cold, so we were all bundled up in the backseat in our pjs. We also had the drive-in's heater on in the car.

The film features Jewish vampires and gay vampires to comic, though not offensive, effect, Quite progressive for the time I think. I just watched the film today and loved it all over again.

Sharon Tate is in this. She and Roman fell in love on the set. The film has a light-heartedness about it. After Sharon's untimely death, Polanski's films turned much, much darker. His next film would be the bloody MacBeth.

The film was originally entitled Dance of the Vampires but I think the more comic name suits it best. The climactic vampire ball is still chilling to me. Oh, those damned mirrors!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this film! Roman and Jack MacGowran are the perfect team...and Sharon is stunning as always.

    ReplyDelete