Sunday, November 29, 2015

Video Beaverhausen: Verna ~ USO Girl


Verga: USO Girl is a wonderful movie produced by PBS that originally aired on the station in 1978, where I saw it for the first time. I am thrilled to rediscover it on video. While I highly recommend this, I suggest viewing it with a box of Kleenex by your side. Like West Side Story, though I know what's coming every time, I cry at the end.

The film has many of light, funny moments, though, with Sissy Spacek in the title role as an innocent girl with more pizzazz and ambition than actual talent. Sally Kellerman co-stars as a weary, jaded USO trooper, and a young William Hurt is both hunky and brilliant as Verna's adoring fan.

Howard DaSilva nabbed a Grammy for his supporting role, deservedly.

Verna was made two years after Spacek's breakthrough role in Carrie. It shows off the actor's versatility.

An overall wonderful, quality piece of entertainment, the film was released theatrically in certain foreign markets. I think it would make a wonderful stage musical. An anecdote to the gung-ho "The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B." I first saw this when it originally aired and watched it with my ex. We bawled our eyes out by the telefilm's finale. Viva la Verna!

No comments:

Post a Comment