Monday, January 25, 2016

On the Town with Buddy Beaverhausen: Remembering Darlene Love, Merry Clayton & Marianne Faithfull at The Rainbow Room

Who remembers when, high atop Rockefeller Plaza, there was cabaret at the very classy Rainbows and Stars in The Rainbow Room.

Dress code was very strict. For men, it was jacket and tie and dress pants.

I have a very clear memory of going there around this time of year in '96 -- well before my blog -- to see a show of girl group greats. It was a very large large room but it was packed.

Darlene Love, Merry Clayton and Marianne Faithfull made an odd trio but that's part of what made it so wonderful. Faithfull good-naturedly poked fun at her ravaged voice.

The show had little patter but a plethora of wonderful songs. It ran January 16th through February 3rd of 1996. I remember the stage was a high dais set in front of the windows overlooking Manhattan. It snowed the night my friend John and I attended, providing a beautiful backdrop.

"He's a Rebel," "Gimme Shelter" and "Broken English" were all on the song list that night. There were at least 20 other numbers.

It was really a marvelous night to remember. And I do... so well! Right down to the shrimp cocktail and cosmos.

The next time I was at The Rainbow Room was at an office party in summer. Beautiful view and great food.

Bring back Rainbow & Stars! Cabaret is back big-time and we could use your elegance.


1 comment:

  1. I actually see the are booking live talent again, but no big names. Darlene Love, put your bid in!

    ReplyDelete