Sunday, November 25, 2012

Kylie ~ The Abbey Road Sessions

One of the things I've always remembered about my first trip to London is falling in love with "I Should Be So Lucky," a Stock Aitken Waterman hi-nrg production that was all over the radio and in the clubs. I was so excited, coming back to New York, believing this sensation would make its way across the pond. It never did. The singer? Kylie Minogue.

Not long afterward, however, Kylie scored her first hit in the USA with "The Locomotion." It received frequent play on MTV in the days when Music TV actually played music videos!

It was a delight for me to hear both these songs on Kylie ~ The Abbey Road Sessions, released early November in both the UK and USA.  The forty-something entertainer demonstrates that her divahood is not constrained to the dancefloor as previous hits are given breathtaking, orchestral arrangements for Ms Minogue to sing sweetly over. Her voice is relaxed, strong, mellifluous and confident.

The lush sweep of the opener, "All the Lovers," is a dreamy confection fit for any star. I was especially surprised by how well "Better the Devil You Know" translates as a ballad. Opening with a simple piano accompaniment, it actually made me misty with its unexpected tenderness.

Nick Cave's "Where the Wild Roses Grow" is a disarming treat, though Cave's vocals are actually a bit distracting to me in this instance. "The Locomotion" is given a perfectly '60s treatment complete with soulful backbeat. And "I should Be So Lucky" is bewitchingly sultry, slowed down, almost 30 years down the (Abbey) road. Well, we can't be so perky perky perky forever, dahlings, trust me on that.

This Parlophone release boasts 16 tracks. Producers have beautifully arranged the songs, and the back-up girls' harmonies are magnificent.  As for Ms Minogue's vocals: Can't get her out of my head. Dj Buddy Beaverhausen calls it a keeper and says go for it. Available @ Amazon.com on cd (with art and liner notes) and for download.

Below, Kylie does "The Locomotion" on Dancing with the Stars, Abbey Road style:




No comments:

Post a Comment