Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gollll-ly! Gomer Pyle G.A.Y.

It was kind of endearing to read that actor Jim Nabors married his partner of 38 years, Stanley Cadwalleder, per the morning's news. The marriage took place on January 15 in Washington state, where gay marriage became legal last month.

I remember rumors were rife, as early as the 1970s, about Jim Nabors being gay and having an affair with Rock Hudson, who died of AIDS-related causes in 1985, the year Jim and Stanley began their relationship.

"I’m not ashamed of people knowing [that I am gay]," Nabors was quoted in The Washington Post.  "It’s just that it was such a personal thing, I didn’t tell anybody. I’m very happy that I’ve had a partner of 38 years and I feel very blessed. And, what can I tell you, I’m just very happy!”

Gomer couldn't have put it more sweetly. Jim Nabors is 82 and his long-time partner is 64.

"Nabors said he’s been open about his homosexuality to co-workers and friends but never acknowledged it to the media before. He doesn’t plan to get involved in the issue politically," said The Washington Post. “'I’m not a debater. And everybody has their own opinion about this and actually I’m not an activist, so I’ve never gotten involved in any of this,' Nabors told Hawaii News Now."

Nabors and Cadwalleder live in Hawaii, where Nabors' neighbor is good friend Carol Burnett) but flew up the West Coast to marry.

Jim Nabors is best known as the sweet but gullible character, Gomer Pyle, on The Andy Griffith Show. The character was spun-off to star in the series, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., which lasted five years. The premise was borrowed from the popular movie, No Time for Sergeants, which starred Andy Griffith. Gomer's signature line was his often stated, "Golll-ly!"

Nabors was a staple, as a singer with a powerful baritone voice, on a series of  television variety shows and late night talk shows throughout the 1970s, and even had two highly rated t.v. specials.

Ok, be honest. Who thought that Gomer Pyle was kind of hot?

All I can say is Golll-ly, Jim Nabors! And congratulations!


No comments:

Post a Comment