Friday, January 30, 2015

Cine Beaverhausen: Still Alice

My adoration of Julianne Moore is no secret, so it's probably not a surprise to you or myself that I'd love her Oscar-nominated performance in Still Julia.

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, it details the tragic story of early onset Alzheimer's; in this case for a woman of 50.

Believe me, I worry about this shit! Like when I can't find my house keys, then find them in the fridge! I worked with a woman, younger than myself, who was laid off because of her "flaky" behavior. A couple of years later, she died and had been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. My mom, shortly before her passing, became confused at times. At one visit at Christmas, she was preparing to mail a gift. "Where do I put the return address?" she asked. "Mom," I said, "At the top of package." "Where? In the middle?" she retorted.

This was all to say that I found Ms Moore's portrayal very convincing. Directed by Richard Glazer (who wrote the script) and Wash Westmoreland, the film perfectly depicts the deterioration of this illness.

Highly recommended. Strong  thesp support, especially by Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart  See this. Can you remember that?

No comments:

Post a Comment