Thursday, July 30, 2015

Travels with Beaverhausen: Buddy B Hits Frisco!

An SF Patio Where I'm Staying
Oh, the ordeal of flying out of JFK (a/k/a "Private Hell 36")! 36 should have been my gate number this morning.

I arrived at American Airlines ticketing and baggage claim. It was incredibly disorganized and slow going. Everyone on the long line was grousing about how they were obviously going to miss their flights because of how long things were taking. When I got up to the counter, I was told it was too late to check my suitcase but it was small enough to bring aboard, which I really didn't want to do. (I intended to only bring my laptop bag on the plane.) Though I arrived at 6 am for my 8 am departure to the West Coast, by the time I got through security, I had about 15 minutes to board. My gate was #1. I entered the concourse starting at #37. I missed my flight.

I was then put on a 10 am flight to San Francisco. At that time, a rainstorm grounded us for 1/2 an hour.

The staff on the flight were very friendly, attentive and courteous. Honestly, I don't know how they do it! The attendants aboard were all blonde women. I didn't even know that was legal! I was reminded of Tina Turner who said (to Rolling Stone, I believe) that she always envied stewardesses for having such a glamorous job until one day she observed them and had this epiphany: "My God! They're just waitresses!"

I was seated next to a retired New Zealand couple just a little older than me and they were marvelous company that helped pass the 5 -1/2 hour flight time. We were in the typically cramped coach section, three abreast on either side. AA's first-class is private seating on either side. A chaise lounge with desk basically. Their business class is two seats with a small desk in-between.

It was a short taxi ride to my hosts, Ilene and Steve's, home by taxi. The temperature was 67. A nice respite from the heat and humidity in NYC! And, so, I ultimately got to relax after my airport ordeal. We also shared a little wine. Neighbors came by. They also shared the wine. Ilene and Steve's daughter, Katherine, was here with her grade-school friends as well.

Frisco is very easy and breezy. Very not NYC. A mixed blessing. For example, at the airport's taxi pick-up stand, there's no "stand here" sign. When I asked where the line began or ended, I was told, "Wherever. It's kind of free. But everyone eventually gets a cab." Gulp!

Where the Emmys Are.
Steven arrived for dinner about 7 pm Pacific time. He's an equity plan consultant who was able to give me some much-needed financial advice. Ilene is a two-time Emmy-winning producer for Guiding Light and for a sports network. Her dinner tonight was delicious and award-worthy in itself. We three planned my itinerary for the week over dinner. Expect lots of cool stuff from Buddy B coming direct from the Barbary Coast over the next few days!







No comments:

Post a Comment