Thursday, January 21, 2016

Songs My Mother Taught Me

When I was a child, my mom loved to sing me lullabies, stroking my hair, until I fell asleep, beside her, in my bed.

Had she not left us too young in 2011, her birthday would be February 18. She was an Aquarian. Yes, she loved to swim!

She had a lovely, lilting voice that was very comforting as I snuggled to her bosom as she sang.

"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" and "Danny Boy" were favorites of hers, as was "How Much Is that Doggie in the Window?" She eventually bought the last title for me on a 45 rpm.

"Sunshine Cake," "Good Ship Lollipop," "Swing on a Star," "Animal Crackers in My Soup" were all part of repertoire. She grew up during the Great Depression, weened on Shirley Temple. She even had a Shirley Temple doll.

All her songs were had positive and inspired me to be part of who I am today.

Thank you, Mom! Love you forever!











No comments:

Post a Comment