Friday, January 22, 2016

Video Beaverhausen: Day of the Locust (1975)

While the snowstorm has grounded me for the day, I finally pulled out my copy of John Schlesinger's Day of the Locust (1975), starring Donald Sutherland and the late Karen Black.

Day of the Locust, along with West's Miss Lonelyhearts, were required in an English course I took entitled "Antiheroes in Literature."

I loved West's subtle sense of the bizarre. That quality is ver much evident in Schlesinger's film adaptation.

Sutherland gives a brilliant performance as a dangerously sexually repressed man Burgess Meredith was Oscar nominated in his supporting role, as was Conrad L. Hall for his lush Technicolor cinematography. William Atherton (Hindenburg, Ghost Busters) was a hot property at the time and I always enjoyed him as an actor and as eye candy. Bob Esty's late creative partner, Paul Jabara, performs "Hot Voodoo" in drag during a key sequence.

Still, Ms Black is riveting as the I'll-do-anything-to-be-famous actress. Great flick for a snowy night in NYC! I originally saw this in the theaters, on the upper eastside. I went back twice, wanting more.

Who do you think could star in a remake today?




No comments:

Post a Comment