Saturday, April 16, 2016

Rubbing Elbows: My Brushes with Celebrities chapter 5

I've never encountered a sweeter soul and more considerate artist than Sarah Dash. I first met her at the Laurie Beechman Theatre on 42nd Street in 2011.

My mom had died and I'd just returned from Florida after the funeral. My good friend, Kevin Scott Hall, a cabaret critic and performer, knew I loved Sarah both for her solo work and as part of the glam-rock group Labelle, along with Patti Labelle and Nona Hendryx.

At the time, I didn't feel I was ready to go to a show as I was in mourning, but my friend insisted. And so, I went.

Sarah didn't disappoint. During her performance, she talked about the death of her own mom.

At the meet and great after the show, I told Sarah about the death of my mom and how touched I was hearing about hers. We both broke into tears and hugged. The club's handlers had to break us up so the line of greeters could move along.

Sarah is a woman of true heart and soul. Warm, caring, sensitive.

Four years later, I attended her birthday brunch at 54 Below. It was a great show with tributes by the likes of Melba Moore and her former Labelle partner, Nona Hendryx, who tooked to the stage with Ms Dash to sing "Lady Marmalade." As for Miss Patti, she sent a congratulations via video.

Prior to that epic afternoon, I had met Patti afternoon, I saw Ms Dash at a tribute to the recently deceased Lesley Gore. I got to meet her once more after her performance, also at 54, where I first met Denise Spann-Morgan and The "Marvelous" Marvelettes. Sarah remembered me from our Laurie Beechman moment.

It was my privilege and pleasure to briefly get to know Sarah in my lifetime, a beautiful woman inside and out.


No comments:

Post a Comment