Sunday, May 15, 2016

Rubbing Elbows: My Brushes with Celebrities chapter 15

Vicki Sue Robinson was a sweetheart. I met her briefly after her show on 42nd Street. It was a terrific show and Vicki didn't disappoint, doing all of her dance floor hits and a couple of numbers from Jesus Christ Superstar She was part of the ensemble cast on Broadway.

Vicki entered, walking down the aisle with a rotating, shimmering disco ball on her head. Best known for her monster hit, "Turn the Beat Around,"

The year was 2000. and the singer was ebuliant on-sstage.At a brief meet and greet afterwards, however, she did seem a bit tired and wary as I shook her hand.

Within a month afterwards, the diva died of cancer complications. Sadly, she must have known this show would be her last.

Her show that night included all her hits including the then-recent hits, the Junior Vasquez-produced "House of Joy" (one of my favorites)  and "Move On."

My friend and I met her husband on the street, "Vicki's not well tonight," he glumly told us. We already prepared for the worst.

I saw the late Tammy Wynette (who had five costume changes) and Laura Nyro, each at The Bottom Line (long after I had worked there). I also met Joan Rivers after her show at Fez in the East Village. Joan was disarmingly sweet and kind after her show. It was my friend Kevin who got us in backstage to meet her.

I developed a complex, fearing I was becoming the Angel of Death!

Nona Hendryx  of Labelle also performed at Fez one night. The late Luther Vandross sat at a nearby title. and blew kisses at her from his seat. I was lucky to have met both artists after the show.

So many memories of the great and the late.



No comments:

Post a Comment