Sunday, March 15, 2015

Martha Wash, Kylie & Me, and the Death of The Dance Machine

This is the first time on my blog that I am announcing, at last after a long time planning it, I have retired from my office job to be full-time Buddy Beaverhausen! Writing and blogging are what I  can devote my time towards. And, of course, going to events especially if red carpet, lights and lots of press cameras are involved! I find myself at a time of life now composed of multi-tasking and, equally, multi-napping.

First, let me just say that I do see eye-to-eye with Madonna on one thing: ageism. When Radio 1 in the UK snubbed playing "Livin' for Love" (the only really good track off the new album), Madonna said we've made progress "in other areas - civil rights, gay rights - but ageism is still an area that's taboo and not talked about and dealt with.” Hear, hear, old girl!

I'm old enough to recall with joy a happy time in my life that included tuning into Chuck Barris' The Gong Show before bedtime with my ex. We loved the appearances of Gene, Gene, The Dance Machine and his stiff, crazy and robotic dance moves. He made us laugh. Gene was a stagehand at NBC before appearing on The Gong Show and, more importantly, the first African-American member of the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees, Local 33. Eugene Patton was 82 at the time of his passing. 

Giorgio Moroder's "Right Here, Right Now" is a super upcoming dancefloor smash, certainly, with Kylie Minogue on vocals. There will be no shortage of diva-driven disco for this year's Pride festivals!

Not all the remixes of the song are successes and, frankly, I prefer playing Moroder's original extended mix. Mark Roberts' Ultimix dampens down the NRG but there's worse from Felix Da Housecat, Mr Moustache, Ant Larock, Dj Sneak (who are some of these people?!) Kenny Summit, Felipe de Lima. However, I did enjoy 7th Heaven's club mix. Very upbeat.

Martha says "Everybody dance now" once more for producer Tony Moran. Actually, her lyrics are "I want to see you dance" on Billboard's upwardly mobile new dance hit, "Free People." Tony just had a Billboard smash with the fabulous Debby Holiday (an update of "I Like You") and sure knows how to fashion a sound that will make you want to get up and shake your groove thing.

Again, the original Tony Moran/Warren Rigg Global Mix is best. The Cruelty remix is too funky, Giuseppe D too chunky. Actually, most of the mixes available failed to impress with the exception of Yinon Yahel's big-room, Junior-esque house version.

"Free People" is another positive anthem from Ms Wash, very much in her element here as she belts out a feel-good song about loving yourself and expressing it on the disco floor. Just like Gene Gene.











No comments:

Post a Comment