Sunday, November 15, 2015

Cine Beaverhausen: The Martian with Matt Damon

The Martian is basically Cast Away in outer space. Is there life on Mars? Not judging by Matt Damon's shallow performance herein. He's certainly not my favorite Martian.

Ridley Scott (Alien, Bladerunner) directed and we probably can brace ourselves for this box-office smash to garner nominations come Oscar time as it has a certain pedigree, so to speak. The audience I sat with seemed to squirm, moan and get out of their seats a lot during this bummer of a brouhaha.

Sand. The film has lots of sand. And it upstages Damon! Jeff Daniels is in this, turning in a sturdy performance, but he, Kristine Wiig, Jessica Chastain and Sean Bean are all basically wasted herein. The Martian landscape was actually shot in the Middle East through a red filer.

Hearing Gloria Gaynor sing "I Will Survive" and The O'Jays sing "Love Train" kept me awake during this misfired star vehicle. Matt was obviously thinking this could be his Interstellar or Gravity.

I rate The Martian four big yawns. First movie to star sand since Beach Blanket Bingo, which was far more interesting.






2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the potatoes! Maybe they'll be up for an Oscar! For the life of me, I can not understand how this has become such a big hit--and Matt Damon is usually one of my favorite actors. I've seen more excitement in high school science classes. The audience I was with seemed to like it, but not I.

    ReplyDelete