Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Cine Beaverhausen: Papa Hemingway in Cuba

Cuba was once a luxury resort for rich foreigners, largely Americans, until Castro's 1959 revolution, which is when this drama takes place,

Papa Hemingway in Cubs is a great movie that I'd happily revisit when it arrives on video. But go to theaters now to catch this beauty.

Superb acting by Adrian Sparks as America's famed writer Ernest Hemingway, Joely Richardson as his wife Mary, and everyone else in this wonderful cast.

The plot involves a reporter's visit to interview Hemingway just at the time everyone gets swept up in the political turmoil. It makes for terrific dramatic art.

Hemingway, of course, moved to Key West, Florida afterwards. It's the US's nearest point to Cuba. Back in the late 1980s, I took a trip by dark, to Key West. I even took a boat ride to as far as we could ride towards the country at the time. President Obama recently opened up the doors to freely travel to and from Cuba. Scenes were actually filmed in Havana.

By the way, I was conceived in Cuba when my dad was stationed on a Navy base and my mom flew down for a conjugal visit. It was August and very hot. Maybe that's why I feel such affinity with this film.

Papa Hemingway is directed sturdily with a great script to boot. Very highly recommended.






No comments:

Post a Comment